Friday, April 26, 2013


Liebe Familie,

I wrote some emails today before I wrote you. I sent one to Elder Rechter, he was my AP during my first transfer here. I figured I will just copy and paste that email to here because it is a pretty good update of how things are going around here. Then I'll make it a little more personal.

"I have so much to report. I guess I'll start with the most exciting.

My dad told me before I left on my mission that you don't know the effect your mission has until 20 years after you come home. Well I know you haven't been home for twenty years, but do you want to hear a cool story about your mission that you don't even know about yet?

Once upon a time Elder Rechter gave a little Sri Lankan family a simple pass-along card. Fast forward a month and Sister Leavitt and Sister Chard go to teach these people. They have the heaviest accent and we can't understand pretty much anything they are saying, so we just spit out the restoration and get a second appointment and leave, feeling very frustrated that we could not communicate. We fast the next sunday that the language barrier will be broken and that we will be able to teach these people. We go to our appointment with them and the dad wasn't there. Before we even start the lesson, our joint teach asks (inspiredly) What does your Mann do for arbeit? Suddenly the lady goes off about how he has no job and he is an alcoholic and drinks all day and she is alone with the three adorable children and he doesn't love them. (Straight up Herzschmerz)  We bore some mad zeugnis about the healing power of  Jesus Christ. I don't think she necessarily understood what we were teaching her, but you could tell that the spirit was touching her heart and that she could feel the love that we and that Jesus Christ has for her. She still asked "Why does God give me all these problems?" but we testified to her that even though life is difficult, Jesus Christ can bare your burdens with you and make them lighter. Not sure what she understood, but the whole family came to church yesterday and loved it. They just said "Next sunday again, oder?" Story to be continued...

But pretty cool, eh? This family needs the gospel. Thanks for giving them a passalong card. They have two little boys. One is twelve, one eleven, and a little six year old girl named Kaaviya, who is the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Anyway, there's the beginning of the things you don't see until after you get home.

And Jose hasn't been in church still. We got back in contact with him though! We went by, he wasn't there. We left a note asking him to call us. He did. At 11:30 p.m. We were both asleep. Sister Chard thought it was the alarm so she just wanted to die. She looked and saw it was Jose, but she didn't react because she was asleep. I grabbed the phone and tried to use an awake voice, but it didn't work. I pretty much have no idea what he said, but he had been in France and was sick for a while and wants to meet with us again. So far no appointment though. We'll see what goes on. I can't believe I can speak German in my sleep though!

I could go on forever, we have been seeing so many miracles. And Sister Chard is my best friend. We're having the time of our lives.

Tonight we'll teach Leah, a fifteen year old girl, and Martin, an 18 year old boy. I have to tell you the story of how we found them, it's really awesome. But I'll save it for the letter. I'll let you know how the lesson goes too. "

So that is pretty much a report of what is going on around here. I will tell you the story of Leah and Martin sometime because it is a good one, but for now I have to sign off. I love you all so much. Please keep sending me emails, I appreciate them so much. And letters are also wonderful. I don't have a ton of time to respond, but I'll do my best, and trotzdem, know that I think about you and love you and appreciate the letters and emails.

Have a wonderful week everyone!

Love,

Sister Mary Jane Leavitt

0 comments:

Post a Comment